Orthopaedics & Spinal Surgery Referrals
Orthopaedics and spinal surgery referrals to Dr Simon Thompson at Charter Veterinary Hospital. We offer a highly equipped dedicated orthopaedic theatre working to AO protocols.
Pre-emptive polymodal analgesic and intensive care regimes – Epidurals – Patches – Infusions – Ventilators – Intensive care recovery suite.
We provide a comprehensive, quality orthopaedics and spinal surgery service.
Dr Simon Thompson BVetMed CertSAS MRCVS RCVS Advanced Practitioner Small Animal Surgery
Simon graduated from the Royal Veterinary College, London in 1995.
He was awarded the RCVS Certificate in Small Animal Surgery in 2002 and is a RCVS Advanced Practioner in Small Animal Surgery. He has particular interest in orthopaedics, neurology and neuroimaging. Simon is based at Charter Veterinary Hospital coordinating our internal and external referral services, treating challenging surgical cases for other veterinary centres across Devon and Cornwall.
He sits on the British Veterinary Orthopaedics Association (BVOA) executive committee.
- Tibial Plateau Levelling Osteotomy (TPLO) in most patient sizes above 13 kg. We use Arthrex or Synthes locking plate systems
- Closing Wedge Osteotomy for smaller breed dogs. We use locking plate systems
- Arthrex Tight Rope – Isometric Stabilisation an option for dogs & cats, can also be utilised within our Arthrex TPLO system for very unstable stifles
- Tibial Tuberosity Advancement (TTA) using titanium cage and forkless plate – for some cases.
- Lateral D’Angelis sutures nylon implant available for small dogs or where costs prohibit other procedures
- Arthroscopic Meniscal Assessment & Management