Orthopaedics & Spinal Surgery Referrals
Orthopaedics and spinal surgery referrals to Dr Simon Thompson at Charter Veterinary Hospital. We offer a highly equipped dedicated Orthopaedic Theatre working to AO protocols.
Pre-emptive polymodal analgesic and intensive care regimes – Epidurals – Patches – Infusions – Ventilators – Intensive care recovery suite.
We provide a comprehensive, quality Orthopaedics and spinal surgery service..
Dr Simon Thompson BVetMed CertSAS MRCVS RCVS Advanced Practitioner Small Animal Surgery
Simon graduated from the Royal Veterinary College, London in 1995.
He was awarded the RCVS Certificate in Small Animal Surgery in 2002 and is a RCVS Advanced Practioner in Small Animal Surgery. He has particular interest in orthopaedics, neurology and neuroimaging. Simon is based at Charter Veterinary Hospital coordinating our internal and external referral services, treating challenging surgical cases for other veterinary centres across Devon and Cornwall.
He sits on the British Veterinary Orthopaedics Association (BVOA) executive committee.
Modified Marquet Procedure (MMP). We were one of the first hospitals to introduce MMP in 2011 and this is now usually our procedure of choice. We find complication and recurrence rates are low, the recovery times are shorter than other techniques and most dogs return to some free exercise by 8 weeks
- Similar biomechanics to Tibial Tuberosity Advancement (TTA) using a titanium orthofoam wedge in small, medium and large breed dogs.
- Slocum Rotational Tibial Plateau Levelling Osteotomy (TPLO) in medium and large breed dogs.
- Arthrex Tight Rope – Isometric Stabilisation an option for dogs & cats.
- Closing Wedge Osteotomy for small breed dogs with very steep tibial plateaus.
- Lateral D’Angelis sutures nylon implant available for small dogs or where costs prohibit other procedures.
- Arthroscopic Meniscal Assessment & Management.